As part of his proposed “tool kit” to reduce property taxes, Governor Christie is proposing a return to “ last/best offer” rules for teacher contract negotiations. The system not allowed since 2003 would allow BOEs to impose a contract on the union local. It's a good idea to weaken the stranglehold teachers currently have in negotiations. The question is will it pass the legislature? All I know is that the NJEA is vehemently opposed to the proposal.
Well, even if it becomes law, there's another issue; will the RTBOE use the newfound power? One of this year’s board goals is: Continue to improve board collaboration with staff. How well will this goal fit when the going gets tough in negotiations?
Not to mention the potential conflicts board members have with that staff.· Sue Salny; former classroom teacher, NJEA member & former Department of Education employee.
· Diane Power; retired Rockaway Township teacher & former RTEA member who admits she would have “gone to jail” for the union.
· Michael Friedberger; his spouse is a tenured teacher at Copeland Middle School and evidence indicates he was backed by the RTEA in last year’s school board election
· Mike Puzio; evidence indicates he was backed by the RTEA in last year’s school board elections
· Fred West; his wife works for the RT school district
· Frank Giarratano; his spouse has been employed as a substitute classroom teacher in the district.
These are 6 of the seven folk who will negotiate and ratify a new contract with teachers in the next few months. Just something to think about.
LET BOARD MEMBERS KNOW THAT THEIR COMMITMENT IS TO ALL RESIDENTS NOT JUST FAMILY AND FRIENDS EMPLOYED BY THE DISTRICT.